National Solid Waste Association of India (NSWAI) is the only leading professional non-profit organization in the field of Solid Waste Management in India. With over 500 members worldwide, NSWAI comprises of a strong member team of national and international experts on waste management which includes all kinds of waste such as:
- Municipal solid waste
- Bio – medical waste,
- Hazardous waste,
- E-waste and
- Construction & demolition waste.
NSWAI helps the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) in various fields of solid waste management. It makes policies and action plans.
Activities carried out by the association are—
- to collect, process and compile a database on solid waste generation and management throughout the country;
- to disseminate information on all aspects of solid waste management through seminars, workshops, refresher courses, literature and audio visual techniques;
- to conduct training for enhancement of professional competence in solid waste management; ,
- to participate in committees set up by various authorities and institutions on matters related to solid waste management;
- to render advice and consultancy in the field of solid waste management;
- to make recommendations to concerned authorities and institutions regarding solid waste management legislation, rules and regulations, guidelines, research and
NSWAI also promotes the development as well as use of clean technologies and the sharing of know-how. It provides a forum for exchange of national and international experience, expertise and information in the field of solid waste management.